Sunday, May 2, 2010

Updated: Times Square Bomb Scare - Failed Car Bomb Found In New York’s Time Square


The New York Times: The police discovered a car bomb in a smoking Nissan Pathfinder in the heart of Times Square, prompting the evacuation of thousands of tourists and theatergoers from the area on a warm and busy Saturday evening.
There was no explosion.
“It appears to be a car bomb left in a Pathfinder between Seventh and Eighth” Avenues on 45th Street, said Deputy Commissioner Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s chief spokesman.
The device, he said, contained “explosive elements” that included “propane tanks, some kind of powder, gasoline and a timing device.”
“This is very much an active investigation,” he said. […]
Kevin B. Barry, a former supervisor in the New York Police Department bomb squad, said he was told it was an improvised explosive device. But somehow, he said, the ignition source “failed to function the main charge.”
Mr. Barry said that if it had functioned, “it would be more of an incendiary event” than an explosion. [MORE] 
This is very scary. I have been working events in New York City last week and have to be in the city again tomorrow and Monday. To say I am a little apprehensive is an understatement.   I am not too sure the feds are equally apprehensive; look at this from the same NYT article: 
 A federal official said that domestic security officials had been informed that the event did not appear to be a terrorist threat. The official referred all requests for additional information to New York City police. 
Really? Well what the hell is a car bomb anyway if not terrorism? Allahpundit see similarities with the car bombs after the London subway bombings.  Allahpundit also links to a very useful NYPD presentation that offers information on the telltale signs for car bombs

Atlas Shrugs offers tons of first hand images and updates.


UPDATE: Video added
Hat tip to Left Coast Rebel via Gateway Pundit



I really do not understand why all those people are hanging around. How many terror attacks have we read about where the first device goes off and then after the first responders arrive the second one detonates? Memo to New Yorkers, if this incident should ever happen again, leave the area. You can alway get the details later from the safety of your home. 


UPDATE II: Video from The New York Post



UPDATE III: Heroes identified
NY Daily News: Three heroic cops and a quick-thinking street vendor stopped a madman from detonating a car bomb in the heart of Times Square Saturday night, law enforcement officials told the Daily News.
The T-shirt vendor - a Vietnam vet - told Officer Wayne Rhatigan there was smoke coming from a Nissan SUV on the southwest corner of 45th St. and Broadway about 7 p.m., sources said.
Rhatigan approached the car, saw the smoke, and sprang into action.
"I did a lap around the vehicle. The inside was smoking," Rhatigan told the Daily News Saturday night. "I smelled gunpowder and knew it might blow. I thought it might blow any second."
He grabbed two rookie female cops patrolling the area. Together, they pushed hundreds of people away from the scene as they called for backup, he said. […]
"It looks as if the perp was trying to light it up, and was interrupted by the cops, panicked and took off," a law enforcement source said.
"It looked like someone tried to detonate it and we got to it in time," a police source said. "This is a big deal. It has the makings of a real car bomb." […]
Police said the blue Pathfinder appeared to be stolen and had Connecticut license plates belonging to another car.
The man seen fumbling with the device vanished into the crowd and had not been found as of early this morning. [MORE]

Via: Hot Air

16 comments:

Larry Sheldon said...

How far away from the terrorist bomb is 1270 Avenue of the Americas?

Just a conservative girl said...

I am with you, go home and watch it on TV.

I have been saying for years it is only a matter of time before we start seeing the carnage that is a daily occurance in the Middle East.

You live just outside NYC and I live just outside DC, so we both have to be viligiant at all times.

Clifton B said...

Larry Sheldon:

1270 6th Ave (Avenue of the Americas) is where Fox News or Radio City Music Hall is located if I am not mistaken. The car bomb was about 6 blocks away.

Larry Sheldon said...

Thanks--I know some of what is in the building--but I didn't know exactly where the building is.

There are things in the building, I believe, that can be said to be "politically interesting".

Larry Sheldon said...

There was an "incident" in Philadelphia also.

I'll wait for more fact before I mention events farther south.

I wonder if the Vera Baker hing is a coincidence.

(I don't believe much in "coincidences".

Clifton B said...

JACG:

One of Al Qaeda's favorite tricks is to detonate two bombs. After the first goes off, the detonate the second when all the police and fire arrive. It is beyond foolish to hang around.

I am just 10 minutes from Manhattan and believe me I keep a sharp eye out when I travel into the city. Ever since 9/11 I have been expecting this type of terrorism. In a busy city like NYC, it is almost impossible to prevent.

Just Me said...

Unfortunately, this is new reality (since 9/11) that most of us live in now. I'm outside Orlando and I remember walking through Downtown Disney with my family last year and became very uneasy looking around at the crowds. I also had a discussion with someone a few weeks ago where I said that I feel less safe now than I did in 2002. There's been way too many "incidents" over the past year.

Clifton B said...

Larry Sheldon:

Something politically interesting in 1270 6th Ave? Do tell. (you can email me if you don't want to share it in public).

Vera Baker story maybe a diversion seeing how it was old news anyway.

Clifton B said...

Just Me:

After 9/11, I think it was a good year before I would ride the subways. I always thought that is where they would strike next. It is just so damn crowed down there. I think I will go back to riding the ferries.

Larry Sheldon said...

Who starts out a radio program with the words "From high above Times Square....."?

I'm not willing to be labeled some kind of ?????er, but I'm not big on uncaused coincidences.

Clifton B said...

Larry Sheldon:

Beck? Is his radio show at 1270?

Larry Sheldon said...

It is not clear to me, but a while ago I tracked both Premier and Mercury to that address.

Just now I tried to repeat it and couldn't--I lost a link somewhere.

But one can suspect that he has seriously pissed off some people lately.

Larry Sheldon said...

Hmmmm....I might have gotten derailed -- looks like that address is Premier/ClearChannel.

And yes, I know about the 6th Ave-Ave. of the Americas thing--I've been to the UNIVAC (or was it Sperry?) headquarters, and one of daughters just quit at Paul, Weiss.

Clifton B said...

Larry Sheldon:

I am sure Beck has nutcases to worry about. At least at Fox studios the security is as tight as a drum. Over at the radio station, I don't know.

Whoever set this car bomb up, was after many people, not just one.

Did not mean to assume you did not know about the 6th ave deal. I did it more for the folks not familiar with NYC.

Larry Sheldon said...

An act that is intended to or does instill terror in a population is an act of terror.

The notion of "terrorist act" does not have any reference to the perpetrator or his "mission".

Larry Sheldon said...

It turns out I was wrong yesterday--I wasn't wrong after all. (Let it soak for a minute.)

Some times I have trouble locating my nose.

From the bottom of the Glenn Beck Newsletter:


Copyright & Trademark Notice http://www.premiereinteractive.com/legal/#privacy Privacy Policy http://www.premiereinteractive.com/legal/#terms Terms of Use ###UNSUBSCRIBE_LINK### Unsubscribe http://www.premiereinteractive.com/legal/#trademark

Glenn Beck Program | 1270 Avenue of the Americas | New York, NY 10020

Glenn Beck - Premiere Radio Networks - All Rights Reserved 2010

Related Posts with Thumbnails